Sunday, October 31, 2004

happyhalloween

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!


Well, this week has been fun. I'm not sure what I am doing for the actual calendar day of Halloween (as that is yet to come) but there were all kinds of costume parties last night, so Katie and I went ahead and took the pics of our costumes...

Here we are- good and evil.


And here's some close-ups for ya:




Oh, and of course the full-length shot (this self-promotion is getting ridiculous,isn't it?)




OK, that was fun. The first party we went to (Scott's from Thundercloud) was kinda lame (maybe because they were all this super close-knit group and we were just kinda random?) and as we were leaving, Shane, Michael, Daniel, and this girl Monica were walking up (the three boys were the Beastie Boys a la "Sabotage" video, she was a housewife a la 1950's) and we chatted for a bit, and then Shane goes, "Well, have a good night!" and gives me a high five. A HIGH FIVE?!!?!!?! How freaking lame is that? Well, Michael followed suit, but Daniel was the only one with any sense and he goes, "I don't do that sh**!" and gave Katie and I a hug. Dang right- the only one with sense. It was totally weird.

Anyway, the next party we went to was downtown Austin- off Cesar Chavez- Juan, Chepo, Chad & Jen were there, so it was better. There was a TON of people, and they all had these awesome costumes. Yeah, so the night wasn't a total loss. It was fun.

BUT- before all this partying- William and I went to see Death Cab for Cutie at Stubb's BBQ. It was TOTALLY AWESOME. Pretty Girls Make Graves opened, and they were good too, but I can't say I wasn't anxious for Death Cab to get on with the show. They did an hour long set, and came back for a 3-song encore, ending with "Transatlanticism"... it was wonderful! And, I hadn't spent a lot of time with ol' Willie in a really long time, so that was good. It was his first show, I hope he enjoyed it! I thought it rocked- and they played "Photobooth," yes!

OH! And as I was driving to get William, there was this HUGE dead dog on Mopac and I couldn't get out of the way fast enough, so I drove over it. Poor thing! So, I totally bumped over it (like a HUGE speed bump) and my car was splattered with blood and crap. It looks like I killed someone. Then, I think some innards got on the inside of my engine or something, because you could smell burning flesh. I FELT SO TERRIBLE... people said it looked like I was celebrating Halloween with car decor. I don't know.

Ok, and Friday night was 3 parties (the KVRX one, 2 south Austin ones) and they were cool... Katie and I weren't dressed up this go-round, though.

AND- THURSDAY WAS THE COOLEST!! Art Spiegelman (Pulitzer Prize winner for his comic book- Maus) came and lectured as part of UT's PAC Lecture Series, and Craig was SO AWESOME and got us tickets to go!! It was SO great! And Craig is so nice- he gave me Art Spiegelman's new book- In the Shadow of No Towers- which I got signed the next day at Austin Books and Comics...


Yes! It was SO awesome, and the lecture was amazing and made his wonderful new book that much better. And Craig rocks because he made it all happen- he also treated me to pizza and ice cream and brought some Halloween treats over including these cute flowers...


Well, I'm sure there's other stuff that I could go on and on about, but I'll just leave you with some stuff I wrote in one of Journalism classes. Ok, so we just switched our focus from hard news stories to feature stories, so to get our minds shifted to writing creatively- our instructor gave us random words and we had to write whatever came to our minds for 10 minutes- hopefully making some sort of coherent narrative. Well, here are mine... extremely loosely based on reality... my mind always surprises me when I let it loose...

First word: "Click"

Second word: "Brrr"



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« home