Friday, July 20, 2007

I was this close to unwittingly being his Lolita.

First, I'll just say - I didn't know/realize it was a date until the very end... so keep that in mind. You don't know this is a date.

I went to Spanish class. The last one in the undergraduate series. It was about mid-semester, so my professor and TA knew me fairly well (I am outspoken in class, surprise, surprise). Well, this particular day I had red, puffy eyes and the sniffles (I had just broken up with Thomas, my boyfriend for almost four years [over a 6 year span].) I successfully made it through class, and I was walking out...

My professor (and chair of Spanish & Portugese dept.): "Que pasa, m'ija?"
Me: "No soy una novia."

Anyway, the conversation continues for a bit in the doorway, and the TA wants to lock up. My professor asks if I want a coffee at Barnes & Noble, his treat. I don't drink coffee, but I know there are delicious Italian sodas there and I want one and I'm poor, so I agree. Plus, his class is the last of the day, and I don't have to be at work until 6pm (it is noon at this point). We get to B&N, he buys me the drink I want, and we chat. Somehow we start talking about Che Guevara and how I want to read "The Motorcycle Diaries." We talk of families, my life, my interests, etc. Me, me, me (I'm only realizing now that he didn't mention any of his life, at all.). As we are walking out of B&N, Prof sees the book I mentioned, wants me to know more of Che (he is a fan), and picks up the book.

Prof: "Will you read this?"
Me: "Yeah, I will at some point for sure."
Prof: "No, if I bought this for you, would you read it?"
Me: "No, it's okay."

Professor picks up the book and takes it to the check out. He buys it for me. (Still have never read it, p.s.) So, then - we walk out of the store. He asks what I'm doing for the rest of the day... I say "getting ready for work, homework probably... then I work at six"... he says, "Have you ever been to the restaurants on Lake Austin?" No. "Let's go." No. "Come on, its beautiful." Ok. Fine.

We take the 40 Acres bus to his car (Yes, UT really is so big that you have to take a bus between classes... everything's bigger in Texas). For some odd reason ("odd" meaning - "he is my professor and could totally ruin my beautiful GPA if I am a punk"), I get in his car. We go to this great restaurant on the lake... I say I'm not too hungry, so he orders some Fish and Chips for us to share. We talk. And talk. And talk. He says all these complimentary things that I dismiss with a laugh and a roll of the eyes. At this point, its time for me to go to work, so we walk back to his car, and he drives back to UT's campus (I worked at the College of Engineering). He pulls into the parking lot.

Professor: "Its been really fun."
Me: "Sure."
Prof: "I'd like to do it again."
Me: "Uhhh..."
Prof: [squeezes my thumb]

And that's how I knew it was a date.
The thumb squeeze gives it away every time.

If ya'll are interested, I can go on with the aftermath.



6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The restaurant on the lake would of gave it away for me. He probably thought he was going to get some bow chica wah wah. But little did he know, he just got the wah wah.

12:42 PM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

Haha, yeah... the restaurant on the lake was when I started getting nervous, but still trying to give the benefit of the doubt...

Ha.

Wah wah forever
for creep professor

(A haiku.)

12:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sorry, anonymous = martin. Hope you have a good weekend. Your website and Juan's keeps me occupied at work!

1:28 PM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

YAY MARTIN!!!! I AM SOOOO HAPPY YOU READ THIS!

Loves, loves, loves!

1:51 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I always read your blogs. When you blogged about the #1 songs the year you were born, I was the person that got stuck with Night Fever by the Bee Gees :(...haha.

3:17 PM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

Hahahahaha, I LOVED THAT!!! You deserve that song. It's hot! Bee Gees = Original Pimps.

3:27 PM

 

Post a Comment

« home