Thursday, August 23, 2007

Twilight: A rising fervor to my obsession with vampires...

I have loved vampires since I was little. Its weird, I know, but true. Vampires and pirates. I was a pirate for Halloween, my brothers were vampires. And dang if my mom didn't do the best vampire make-up of all time. In 7th grade, I dated this boy named Jason. My mom made him up as a vampire for our church Halloween party... I was WAY too excited by this; I am pretty sure we kissed a lot that night. In fact, I have noticed that my taste in men is usually of the vampyric nature... tall, slender, brooding, strong jawed, black hair, pale, hard-edged and damaged (this is why I end up with punk or indie rock gentlemen... they usually fit this bill). In fact, here is a pic of my favorite boyfriend of all time, Thomas (ignore the baby fat in my cheeks and my blonde hair). TELL ME HE DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A VAMPIRE?!

Enter present day: Rachel's Books Not Boys Club (of which I am a very proud member - she is the best book club boss of all time, I swear). This month we are reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. I have to admit I was pretty skeptical at first. BUT HOLY CRAP IF ITS NOT SUPER HOT!!!! I realize it is a vampire love book set in an after-school special, but I love it. The plot is super predictable. The dialogue is ridiculous. But you should see the excitement that comes over me when I read about Edward Cullen's Volvo. I can't breathe. Those golden eyes! He bosses her around... oh man. My favorite! In two days and hardly any free time, I have read 180 pages. I can't help it. I know my girls feel precisely the same: I have heard as much from Natalie, Julie, Mary, Rachel, Kylee...


The Twilight cover from Japan: I am freaking in LOVE with Edward Cullen and this is exactly as I envision him:

Again, that indie rock hair and brooding eyes! Gets me every single time. Unhealthy obsessions with vampires (and vampyric-like men) have dictated my love life since I was young. I have tried to love the more boy-next-door types, but I just can't. I need the moods! I need the bossing me around! MUST HAVE THE BROODING!!!

I realize this is dysfunctional, but how can I help it when vampires look like this???



6 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Word. To. Your. Mom.
Bossy and brooding, my favorite...and the insomniac in me also likes the idea of a love that never sleeps...hmm.

12:27 PM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

Oh man, as I type, I am on page 218. I am going through this thing FAST.

I will have to borrow book 2 from you soon, I fear.

2:03 PM

 
Blogger Hayley said...

Just about done with Eclipse. Sexy. You know how he watches her sleep? I don't know about you, but I fart in my sleep and drool and all, and I don't want anyone watching me.

Oh and I remember Thomas! I remember he was your favorite boyfriend. Cool kid. Whatever happened to him? Maybe if I ever get some hormones, I will have a boyfriend, too.

8:51 PM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

Yeah, I would be kinda sketched out about the whole watching me in my sleep thing, too. I am the drooler of all droolers.

Thomas is now in San Francisco at photography school - not as cute as he used to be, which is easier for my heart!

Haha, I probably shouldn't be so public about that opinion...

9:52 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha ha! love the way you put it and couldn't agree with you more!

10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If your so into "vampires" what would you do with the real deal? Like Lord Toph, or some other hot rock vampire?

8:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

« home