Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Bob knows best!

This morning I opened my email to behold three new editions of "The Lefsetz Letter." The "Letter" is essentially one man seasoned in the music industry pontificating on industry issues - sometimes just musing, sometimes just bitching, sometimes just business commentary. (If you're at all part of the music/production industry or aspire to be, you should read it. It's great and timely. http://lefsetz.com/)

In one of this morning's letters - I read the following:

Funny how your favorites are not those on the radio. The bands on the radio are for everybody. You can get their material in one listen. It's for those not paying attention, those who don't NEED the music. Whereas the records we hold near and dear speak to us, reveal themselves over time. We would no sooner part with them than disown one of our children. We need them. We grow old with them. They might not change, but we get new insight every time we listen to them.


Lefsetz was talking about the Scottish band: the Silencers. (Let me say here - I am not a huge fan of the Silencers, BUT if you hang with me, I'll get to the point.)

This is PRECISELY how I feel about Pearl Jam's VS. - their fantastic sophomore album back when I was somewhat of a little tyke. Their single of that effort was "Daughter" - which is my least favorite song on the album. It was for everybody. It was for those who don't NEED the music. But how about "Animal"? BEST BREAK-UP SONG EVER. And "Dissident"? "Rearviewmirror"? YES, PLEASE. And I know that "Leash" is the naughty song at the end, but hell if its not the best freaking song to rock out. IT WAS THEIR IDEA! I PROVED TO BE A MAN! And the quintessential teenage depressive anthem: "Indifference." (Imagine me with my Walkman, then later, Discman, then later Car, then later iPod - writhing around letting out all bottled emotions! Excellent!)

I will light the match this morning so I won't be alone
Watch as she lies silent, for soon light will be gone
I will stand arms outstretched, pretend I'm free to roam
I will make my way through one more day in Hell...
How much difference does it make

I will hold the candle till it burns up my arm
I'll keep taking punches until their will grows tired
I will stare the sun down until my eyes go blind
I won't change direction, and I won't change my mind
How much difference does it make

I'll swallow poison, until I grow immune
I will scream my lungs out till it fills this room
How much difference



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

« home