Wednesday, January 30, 2008

As I exit my home this morning, I see the bus driving by. So. I Book It like no one has every Booked It before (except maybe in elementary school with that program that you read books to earn Pizza Hut).

I make the bus! Hoorah! Out of breath (sad), I take the first available seat. As I'm sitting there (about 1 minute has passed) - I hear a woman say:

"Damn Faggot." (referring to our slightly manly female bus driver)

Then, a father on the bus (with his four-year-old child in tow) says: "Watch your language, please."

So, this is what ensues (I am editing most of the string of obscenities included):

Disgruntled woman from Detroit: "He [referring to the little boy] lives in Somerville. I'm sure he's heard worse."

Father: "That's not the point."

Disgruntled woman from Detroit: (flies off the handle) "Oh my ***, "faggot" is not a curse word!!! You live in Massachusetts!! You're used to faggots!!! Everyone here is so stupid and thinks they're so smart!!"

Father: "Okay, you're being ridiculous."

Disgruntled woman from Detroit: "WHAT?! People at Harvard can't even read!!!"

A lot of people on the bus, including myself: "Are you serious?" or "What the hell?" or "You're ridiculous!" or "WHAT?!" or "Oh my ***, please shut up."

Disgruntled woman from Detroit: "Really!!! Have you ever been to Harvard Square?? F***ing idiots!!!"

Me: "Crap. Looks like a lot of folks have paid way too much for their education."

Disgruntled woman from Detroit: "You're all a bunch of Massholes!!! No one is smart here like in Detroit!!"

Me: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Is she serious???"

Me/group of women sitting at the front of the bus: "Wow. She is."

At this point, the father and his child get off the bus (which is sad, because they were headed for the train and were still 6-7 blocks away). The child is visibly upset as the father tries to comfort him. Nice.

The Disgruntled woman from Detroit remains on the bus ("Can you believe this guy??") as the rest of us shun her for having an issue of blood.



5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not to ignore the important part of your blog...but I remember book it in elementary school as well! I love greasy ol pizza hut. I hate woman like that. I grew up on the transit system in chicago and heard that all the time. The cool thing was my old man was the driver of the bus most the time...he didn't put up with any crap like that. But that was another time.

11:33 AM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

OH MY GOSH. I freaking LOVE that you remember BookIt! (!!!!) Martin, you rock.

You know - that's probably where I initially got chubby... reading for food! Oy.

11:37 AM

 
Blogger Dani Lou said...

I love public transportation stories. This is amazing. I am going to link it to my post about the braid lady..

4:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe if they had Book It up in Detroit when she was growing up, she would have a better vocabulary.

6:51 PM

 
Blogger ju said...

too bad you didn't have a greasy pizza hut personal pan pizza to shove in that woman's mouth right then and there, or at least the coupon for it to give to the kid to make him feel better.

crazies on public tran is one of the most charming things about big city living, no?

11:39 AM

 

Post a Comment

« home