Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Marianne Williamson

My friend Julie told me that the quote you see to your left was actually spoken by Marianne Williamson! Sooooo - I set out to find out why it has been misquoted for years (apparently since 1994). Also, much to the dismay of teachers everywhere, I always source things instead of just believing what I hear (please don't be offended, Ju - I promise I do this with everything).

So. I researched it out and there is no conclusive evidence either way! REALLY?! On the whole wide world of the Interwebs, there's not a freaking conclusive answer? From researching this out, I'm leaning towards Marianne Williamson, but I can't find the quote from her book that she references (Return to Love is the text which supposedly includes it). However, Nelson Mandela's 1994 inaugural speech text does not include the quote either! I plan on going to the library to figure this all out, but until I get a chance to do that - I just edited the background quote image to not have a source.

I'm glad to know this has happened to others, check out this blog post:
http://www.bartgibby.com/2007/09/19/marianne-williamson-or-nelson-mandela/

To be continued...

.....

OKAY! I got a freaking reference. FINALLY. Back to Photoshop for me!

This quote by Marianne Williamson is from her book, A Return To Love: Reflections on the Principles of A Course in Miracles, Harper Collins, 1992. From Chapter 7, Section 3 (Pg. 190-191).

There is no textual record that Nelson Mandela ever said this... I wonder who first attributed it to him? I wonder if this is one of those lies that has rippled. You know? Like one random person misquoted it, was embarrassed that they were wrong, but insisted on continuing the lie? I think I did that about a dream I had about spaghetti and meatballs attacking me. I never had the dream, but insisted to my brothers and sister that I had.



4 Comments:

Blogger ju said...

what what! thanks for doing the sleuthing. it's good to know that the claims i make are true sometimes. ;)

figures though, right? wouldn't it take a woman to come up with such brilliance?

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Lady Bills said...

i'm a little hesitant to admit this, but... well you see, i was the one that told marianne the quote first... she took it from this one time when she and i were in deep discussion... and the brilliance just came out of my mouth.

i know, i know... no need to thank me.

4:24 PM

 
Blogger Lady Bills said...

ps i LOVE the new look of your blog.

you are a sass queen and i love you.

4:33 PM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

Julie - word.

Peggy - thank you for telling the truth. :)

8:38 AM

 

Post a Comment

« home