Friday, September 12, 2008

I CAME TO WORK IN A FIRE TRUCK

Okay. First things first.

I live right up the street from a fire station.

I have taken the same route to my bus/train every morning for a year. I always pass the fire station. My bus stop is right after it, and when I am feeling industrious and want to walk the entire way to the train station...I pass it then, too. Twice a day. Back and forth. 10 times per week. A bit over five hundred and twenty times so far.

These firemen have obviously seen my pattern.

Apparently, one fireman in particular, Melvin, has been particularly observant. After a year of "hello, how are you?'s"... he asked for my number this most recent Monday morning. He said that he saw me every morning and I seemed "mad cool." He asked about my schedule and when would be a good time to call. I told him that I worked 9-5 and had classes on Monday and Wednesday. I predicted he would call on Thursday (last night) and he did (good points for him there). I missed the call - I didn't have my phone with me and I wouldn't have answered anyway because I was watching the BLUE MAN GROUP (so fun; an awesome hook-up from my friend Jen).

On my way to work this morning, I saw Melvin. I was running late, but I couldn't just walk by after not taking his call, so I said: "Hi - I got your call, but I was, etc. etc." We chatted for a bit, and my bus barrels by. CRAP.

"That's your bus!"
"Yes! I need to catch it! Call me later!"

I run off (embarrassed that he is probably watching me take off running/thinking of my wobbly buns jiggling about and how it's a good thing I am wearing tight jeans to hold some of that together) - miss the bus. So, I run to the next stop. Miss it there, too. I consign myself to walking to the train station even though that will make me later than I already am.

Then.

I hear a piercing WAAAAAH, WAAAAAAH behind me. What? Then, a random fireman running after me. "Wait up, wait up!"

I turn around and this fireman (not THE fireman, an older one) says: "We felt really bad that Melvin made you miss your bus, so we want to give you a ride." He opens the front door, I climb in. He climbs in the back and I say hello to my two new chaperones. Are you freaking kidding me?! I'm in the fire truck easily gliding through traffic since everyone gets out of the way.

"Do you work downtown? Is Lechmere or Sullivan (two different train lines) better?"
"Oh, its okay, you can just drop me at Sullivan. I catch the train to Chinatown."
"Okay. Melvin is the happiest guy at the station. You'll have a lot of fun with him."

We get to Sullivan Square station, and I say - "Oh, I can just get out here." We had made it to the passenger drop-off curb, so we were close. The dapper fire chaps reply with "No, we can go in there with this thing."

So, they drive me right up to the train station door. The place where only transportation vehicles can go. The place where you get screamed at and ticketed if you even try to turn around in. Everyone is staring. I get out (after being charmingly teased) and our little affair ends with a loud and emphatic yell from the fire truck:

"SEE YOU LATER, CHIEF!!"



13 Comments:

Blogger Jim and Lisa said...

This is an awesome story!! It made me smile today.

9:52 AM

 
Blogger Clayton and Niki said...

That's hillarious!! Who can actually say they hitched a ride to work in a fire truck?? Hope everything is good with you. :)

12:17 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

well you are "mad cool" so this story doesn't surprise me at all. I just read it to all my co-workers.

12:43 PM

 
Blogger Crys said...

i can't get over this story! i told zack all about it and we laughed and laughed. SO awesome!!!

10:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freaking amazing. What a great story!

7:34 PM

 
Blogger Julia said...

I can picture it all. Can't wait to hear about the first date!

12:46 PM

 
Blogger K. Marie Criddle said...

BRILLIANT!! I love it SO much. You deserve such a rad life.

8:05 PM

 
Blogger starstruck_texan said...

See...amazing things happen to amazing people. That's really cool, a ton of fun I'd bet.

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Colleen said...

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

I love you ALL.

3:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melvin sounds very date-worthy. He has great wheels!

6:57 PM

 
Blogger NatAttack said...

This story made my day. One for the books! Here's hoping you get to ride again soon...

1:31 PM

 
Blogger Whits said...

Seriously amazing. I love it!

10:11 PM

 
Blogger anonymous I said...

I am intrigued. What happened with FF guy.

11:03 AM

 

Post a Comment

« home