Friday, January 09, 2009

My special touch with teenage boys.

Yes, you read that subject line correctly. That could be interpreted a whole host of ways.

The other day I'm in Michaels with my sherpa, Rachel. She is a knitter extraordinaire and was purchasing her latest batch of supplies for a sweater she is making. We get in line and there is this super cute kid, probably about 19. He has these cool cropped dreadlocks, so I say: "I like your hair."

His response: "I like YOUR hair." Time goes by, we chat. He smiles sheepishly, then says: "I like your scarf. I like the colors."

That was that. Teen heartthrob number one.

This morning on the bus, a fellow passenger starts out of nowhere:

Teen Heartthrob number 2: "Are those Converse All Stars?"
Me: "Yes."
TH#2: "Aren't those, like, really old?"
Me: "Well, I don't know. I've had this particular pair for a year or so."
TH#2: "No, I mean, they're old. Anyway. I like your scarf. I like the colors. I like yellow. And green."

This was the same scarf I was wearing at Michaels. Incidentally, there is no green in the scarf I was wearing. Conversation continues like this for a while. He asks where I work, what I do, where I'm from, how long I've lived in Boston, etc. After answering with the most vague answers I can muster, we arrive at the train station.

I lost him! Awesome. But... no. He has followed me.

TH#2: "Were you here when the train took forever?"
Me: (thinking: when does the MBTA ever NOT take forever?) "Oh, I don't know."

Pause.

TH#2: "What are you? Like twenty? I turn twenty-one in six months."
Me: "Actually, I'm almost twenty-five." (Not entirely true. I also turn in about six months, but this kid doesn't need to know that. I say "kid" because there is no way in H this kid was almost 21. He looked 16.)

Pause.

TH#2: "Do you work on a computer?"
Me: "Yes, I do."
TH#2: "I just got an email address. Do you have an email address?"
Me: "Yes."
TH#2: "Do you want to give it to me so I can write you?"
Me: "I don't think so. I better not."

Train arrives. I say goodbye. He goes back up the stairs, and I realize he wasn't waiting for the train at all. End Scene.



7 Comments:

Blogger NatAttack said...

I'd want to touch you too if I were a teenage boy.

5:52 PM

 
Blogger Crys said...

JUST got an email address? Where was he from? That is crazy! I think you should wear that scarf every day and see how many people comment on it before spring.

1:31 PM

 
Blogger Lady Bills said...

yum... jailbait. sounds good to me, i can't for the life of me figure out why you turned him down???

gosh colleen sometimes you can be so PICKY!

6:01 PM

 
Blogger Dani Lou said...

I like your scarf....

Such a Cougar!

6:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

always a joy to read. miss you.

2:01 AM

 
Blogger Linda said...

That scarf is quite an eye catcher. But there is something about about wearing high top chucks. People always comment on mine (maybe it's because professionals don't usually wear them, but whatever)

6:26 PM

 
Blogger Case said...

yay for blogs, I just found you when I commented on Savannana.

11:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

« home