Thursday, May 21, 2009

A Crisis of Courtship

PBS has programming entitled "Religion and Ethics Newsweekly." The podcast for May 8: "Hooking Up."

I would suggest you watch it, but if you're not up for that sort of commitment (!!), here are some pulled quotes I find compelling.

...

Professor DONNA FREITAS (Department of Religion, Boston University and Author, "Sex and the Soul," lecturing students): To have a successful hookup you’re able to shut yourself down emotionally so you do not care when you physically engage with someone in some way — basically you don’t care about it the next day.

...

LAURA SESSIONS STEPP (Journalist and Author, "Unhooked"): The point is not that they’re having sex. Young people have always had sex. Certainly my generation did outside of marriage. That’s not the point. The point is the relationship. What is this teaching them about being in relationship to others?

...

Dr. CHRISTIAN SMITH (William R. Kenan, Jr. Professor of Sociology, University of Notre Dame): Young people today draw a very strong line between their fun years and their settling-down years: What happened in my early to mid-20s will stay there, and then I will magically become happy, faithful, committed, monogamous person, and what happened three years ago won’t affect my life in the future. I personally think that that’s quite naïve.

...

Ms. STEPP: We don’t talk enough about love in this society. We are — it’s somehow become a word that people are afraid to use. But in essence that’s what every one of those young women that I talked to and have written me want — and the young men as well. They want to be loved and to love. And the question they have to ask themselves is, is hooking up the way to get there?

...

I also found an LDS-centered commentary on all of this on The Exponent entitled, "The Hooking Up Phenomenon: Is It Ethical for Young Mormons?" This takes into account that, though full-on sex isn't super common for the younger crew of single LDS adults, the "hooking up" phenomenon still occurs through the ever-pervasive NCMO.

I find all of this very interesting. It is so difficult for me to sustain relationships, and I wonder how much of it is because I sometimes view "settling down" as a killer to my free spirit. At the same time, there is something very alluring about having a steady relationship that I can always count on and not feel compelled to second-guess every second of every day.

I wonder how much of this fear to commit to just one person is due to hooking up so readily with people when I was younger. Right now, I just don't have the faith that I could love just one person for the rest of my life. Maybe that stems from not believing that SOMEONE ELSE could love ME for the rest of my life; not sure. I know my married friends and family will read this and say, "Oh, but when you meet THE ONE all those fears will dissipate!"

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think you CHOOSE to make them dissipate. You know, CHOOSE to love them (and only them) for time (and all eternity should you share my worldview). I struggle with the desire to make that choice. At the same time, though, I really desire the ability to be completely emotionally monogamous (I can get the physical monogamy down fairly well, it's the emotional monogamy that's the killer).



3 Comments:

Anonymous Julia M said...

You're completely right in it being a choice - and there will be days when that choice is easier than others. But I think of it in regards to a best friend relationship. If you have a friend that you have loved for 5+, 10+ even years despite fighting, etc. then what's to make you think it wouldn't be the same way for a spouse? Of course, that feeling is multiplied by a very large number to equal the way it is with your spouse.
But I will say - butterflies for eternity is not realistic. But to me, butterflies doesn't constitute love either.

4:22 PM

 
Blogger Crys said...

This is really cool, Colleen. Good insight too. I can see your point for sure. Physical monogamy is actually way better- you know each other best, what works for you and it gets better all the time. It doesn't take a lot of work and it is always a treat.

Emotionally, it gets difficult. Guess that's why they say marriage is hard work. It's tempting to always search for the greener grass. Plus, people change. Zack is the same and yet SO different from when we got married. Especially since Lexa. When I was having a hard time dealing with it, a friend told me that I had to CHOOSE to accept that he, I , our lives will never be the same again. That spoke to me.

That said, I STILL get butterflies when I look at Zack. I still crave his attention and friendship and lovin'. Even after 11 years of sex and living with the same man. Doesn't mean it is what is best for everyone.

I think you are very smart to see that- it IS a choice to love. Man, am I glad I made the right one! :)

I know you will work it out and make the right decisions for YOUR life. You are a smart, happy, beautiful girl and there is that man out there who is waiting to choose to love only you.



I love you, sis.

12:51 PM

 
Blogger Chavonne said...

I've read this entry a few times and thought about what I wanted to say in response. This entry is really thought-provoking and insightful. And of course, all of my insight is completely personal.

For me, hooking up did not affect my will to commit. I hooked up with guys a lot when I first started college. I don't know if it's necessary for everyone to "sow their wild oats", but it was helpful for me. If I hadn't, I don't know if I would have been ready for love when it came. I'm not saying it's been easy--we had our problems--but I knew he was the one when hooking up became completely unappealing. I found that after uncommitted sex I felt so empty afterwards. I needed a connection. With Kalem it meant so much.

You're completely right, you have to make that choice to ignore those fears. When we first got serious, I still had those fears. Why should he ever love someone like me?! But, after a while, when I realized how committed our relationship was, they slowly dissipated. For me, settling down gave me even more freedom--I had this incredible partner who loved me in spite of my flaws. It gave me freedom to dig deeply within myself to grow as a person.

The emotional monogamy is a killer, you're right. Even though Kalem and I dated for almost all of our college years, I fought constantly against giving myself completely to the relationship. It took five years of being involved with him and a fairly big breakup to recognize how little my life made sense without him. I couldn't NOT make the choice to give all of myself.

I agree with Julia, there won't always be butterflies, though every once in a while he makes me breathless just by looking at me. What I feel now is a quiet calm and contentment, something I could never feel without him. It's so gentle and constant.

You will make the right choice. At the risk of sounding cliche, when it's the right person, you'll know. Even if you have to distance yourself to find out. And when it's right, it will be a joy, a compulsion to commit.

10:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

« home